Re: "Minor" changes to libconfig-inifiles-perl package (and including new upstream version)

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 03:05:48PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
>Just updated also compat version for the packaging and dependency to
>debhelper (>= 7),

I have now reverted this, as I see no benefit from restricting beyond
v6, and the newer version makes backporting harder.

The dependency for debhelper 6 was too loose, however.  This was
recently fixed in CDBS, and I updated the locally shipped CDBS snippet
to include cleanup for that as well).

>and Bump'ed Standards-Version to the current policy 3.8.1.

The package is not currently compliant with that version: Source package
lacks a README.source describing unusual packaging routines.

I will add such file that I have already prepared at
git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/cdbs-skel.git

There are still some lintian-warnings which should be fixed
>before a possible upload can be done:

>I: libconfig-inifiles-perl source: build-depends-without-arch-dep devscripts
>N:
>N:    The control file lists the given package in Build-Depends, but no
>N:    architecture-dependent packages are built. If all the packages built are
>N:    architecture-independent, the only packages that should be listed in
>N:    Build-Depends are those required to run the clean target (such as
>N:    debhelper if you use dh_clean). Other build dependencies should be
>N:    listed in Build-Depends-Indep instead.
>N:
>N:    Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 7.7 (Relationships between source
>N:    and binary packages - Build-Depends, Build-Depends-Indep,
>N:    Build-Conflicts, Build-Conflicts-Indep) for details.
>N:
>N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: possible

I deliberately choose to ignore that: Debian Policy does not say that
the package "should" use -Indep, but that when using the -Indep build
targets the dependencies must be met.

The following note, found in /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/buildcore.mk, shed
some more light on the issue:

># This is a required Debian target; however, its specific semantics is
># in dispute.  We are of the opinion that 'build' should invoke
># build-arch and build-indep.  Policy tends to support us here.
># However, dpkg-buildpackage is currently invokes debian/rules build
># even when doing an architecture-specific (binary-arch) build.  This
># essentially means Build-Depends-Indep is worthless.  For more
># information, see Policy §5.2, Policy §7.6, and Debian Bug #178809.
># For now, you may override the dependencies by setting the variable
># DEB_BUILD_DEPENDENCIES, below.  This is not recommended.
>DEB_BUILD_DEPENDENCIES = build-arch build-indep
>build: $(DEB_BUILD_DEPENDENCIES)

>I: libconfig-inifiles-perl source: build-depends-without-arch-dep perl
>N: ----
>N: Processing binary package libconfig-inifiles-perl (version 2.49-1) ...
>W: libconfig-inifiles-perl: manpage-has-errors-from-pod2man usr/share/man/man3/Config::IniFiles.3pm.gz:966
>N:
>N:    This man page contains a section "POD ERRORS" generated by pod2man. This
>N:    sections lists errors in the POD syntax found by pod2man during the
>N:    generation of the man page.
>N:
>N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain

Agreed, this would be nice to have fixed.  Help appreciated.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --