Re: RM omins, om, vcf

Joost Yervante Damad wrote:
On Sunday 14 October 2007 20:59:54 tim hall wrote:
I am suggesting RFPing ingen and Orphaning om so as to put the kind of
entries in the WNPP list that might attract an interested DD.

In this sense I understand your reasoning. I'll orphan om. However I won't file a RFP for ingen, as I don't plan on using it, if anyone else plans to use it, they should file a RFP :)

Yep, fair enough. :)

That is the outcome I'd like I guess. I'm hoping it would be apparent that in
fact it is ingen that needs the work, with om being replaced with a
dummy package for upgrade purposes. It may be that there is a more
straightforward way of doing this.

If om gets kicked out of the archive, ingen could very easially have a

Provides: om

line, which has mostly the same effect as a dummy package. Dummy packages are best avoided if not really needed.

Surely this would only pull in om/ingen if another package depends on it. The only app that might fall into that category would be Smack drum machine, which is not packaged AFAIK. (? I may be confused about this ?)

The one major reservation to all this is that I'm guessing, due to om's
low popcon rating and lack of bug-reports, that I'm the only person who
actually cares about this application and that only because it might be
useful in theory. In which case I might as well build ingen from source
and forget about it.

I guess it makes sense if you would RFP it. I checked the source and it seems not a trivial package to package.

OK, I'll submit an RFP

cheers,

tim