Re: RM omins, om, vcf

Joost Yervante Damad wrote:
On Sunday 14 October 2007 11:32:28 tim hall wrote:
I wrote:
I think it would be a better idea to put out an RFP on ingen
Judging by the complete lack of bug reports against om, I'm guessing the
package fails to run on anyone's system.

AFAIK it runs fine on 32bit intel machines.

I think om should be Orphaned, I know that might seem slightly odd, considering that it is a
co-maintained package already, but this action may result in the most
appropriate outcome.

Which is ? (Which outcome?)
Am I being a bit obtuse? Sorry I'll try to clarify:

I am assuming from previous conversations that you want to stop maintaining om. I am also assuming that Free would appreciate a co-maintainer if om/ingen continues to be maintained by debian-multimedia or that it would be worthwhile to find a DD who wants to take sole responsibility.

If om runs fine on 32bit intel machines (apart from mine) then it is still potentially useful in its present form, however it will present problems in future if it FTBFS on other architectures or generates any RC bugs.

I am suggesting RFPing ingen and Orphaning om so as to put the kind of entries in the WNPP list that might attract an interested DD. That is the outcome I'd like I guess. I'm hoping it would be apparent that in fact it is ingen that needs the work, with om being replaced with a dummy package for upgrade purposes. It may be that there is a more straightforward way of doing this.

The one major reservation to all this is that I'm guessing, due to om's low popcon rating and lack of bug-reports, that I'm the only person who actually cares about this application and that only because it might be useful in theory. In which case I might as well build ingen from source and forget about it.

I'm persevering with this thread because I suspect om/ingen may be worth the effort. It does appear to have 30 actual users. I suspect that several people have installed and forgotten about it because of the lack of menu entry. I also suspect that most users may not be aware that an om package exists for Debian. The lack of response from anyone else is starting to confirm those suspicions.

I'd also be very grateful if anyone wants to challenge my assumptions, suggestions and suspicions on this matter. :) Apologies if this is gratuitously verbose.

I'm a) not a DD and b) not a programmer otherwise I'd simply package it myself. I'm probably capable of learning how to do it, but I'm not sure it would be best use of my skills. I could go on ... ;)

cheers,

tim