Re: berlios closing; where should my projects escape to?

* Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org>:
> On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:04 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> >For example I might stop putting off the Mailman stuff I
> >promised to work on (porting the Indymedia patchset to mailman
> >3) if it wasn't using bzr.
>
> That does make me sad.
>
> If you contribute in general to open source, I think you pretty
> much have to have a passing understanding of the basics of
> everything from git, hg, and bzr to svn and even cvs (yes, some
> projects still use this).

The lowest common denominator is patch(1).

So all you really need to know how to do is use the upstream's
tool to obtain the source:

	git clone
	bzr branch
	svn co
	etc.

Then, you can import the source into your favorite dvcs system,
hack to your heart's content, and generate patches.

I'm sure most upstreams would love quality contributions of any
sort, and would be happy to get plain old patch output.

That shouldn't be too onerous for anyone to learn. And if it is,
I think that there's another reason for not contributing,
unrelated to whatever tools upstream is using.

/ac