Re: berlios closing; where should my projects escape to?

On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:04 PM, Paul Wise wrote:

>I think people tend not to contribute at all to projects using a VCS
>they don't like.

I still contribute to Python <wink>.

>For example I might stop putting off the Mailman stuff I promised to
>work on (porting the Indymedia patchset to mailman 3) if it wasn't
>using bzr.

That does make me sad.

If you contribute in general to open source, I think you pretty much have to
have a passing understanding of the basics of everything from git, hg, and bzr
to svn and even cvs (yes, some projects still use this).  Subversion is still
the most popular VCS out there, so in the larger scheme, dvcs popularity
contests are wide open IMO (not that I think it should matter much).

I understand what you're saying though.  I put it roughly in the same category
as contributing to a project written in a language you don't like.  If you're
motivated enough, it won't matter.  If you're busy enough and have enough
other fun open source things to hack on, it's another factor in you deciding
where to spend your time.

-Barry