Re: Open RFS lacking (further) response

On Viernes 29 Octubre 2010 22:05:40 Ben Finney escribió:
> Noel David Torres Taño <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:
> > I see a small problem with this, and it is the following: imagine that
> > somebody packages a useful application. He has no special interest in
> > Debian, but only in that application, and it is an application we
> > consider worth enough to have in Debian.
>
> I see that scenario as problematic in itself. I would much rather delay
> the inclusion of that package until it gains a maintainer who
> demonstrates interest in Debian as a whole, than have it maintained by
> someone who “has no special interest in Debian”.
>
> > That person creates the Debian package (as he creates packages for
> > other distros) and puts it here. It is a good package of a good app,
> > and he will have continuous interest in time for the package (that is,
> > he will maintain the package in shape).
>
> Do you have a concrete example of such a package that is especially
> well-maintained by someone who “has no special interest in Debian”?

No, I havn't. I know there are a lot of programs out there which have a debian
dir or even finished deb packages, and are later repackaged by their Debian
maintainers. But must that be always that way? Is it always an upstream
package worst than a repackaged package?

> > Will we say him we will not upload his work just because he does not
> > review other package he has no interest at all in?
>
> My opinion: we have an excess of packages, and a dearth of maintainers
> who have interest in improving Debian as a whole.
>
> I would much rather address the latter by preferring maintainers who
> demonstrate an interest in Debian as a whole, not just their pet
> package.

Yes, I agree. I was just trying to raise an academic question, but it is a
possible case. What if inclusion of that particular package is a benefit for
Debian as a whole?

To throw an (imaginary) example, think on a CUPS equivalent for sound: Common
Unix Sound System which really unificates all the mess we have with OSS, ALSA,
aRTS, Pulse, phonon and Jack. Let it be the work of one team on one
University, people who do not care on Debian (nor any other single distro) but
do quite necessary software and quite good packaging.

Just trying to get to the corners of the proposal, you know

Noel
er Envite