Re: Open RFS lacking (further) response

On Viernes 29 Octubre 2010 08:34:25 Paul Wise escribió:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org> wrote:
> > So this was the first time I dragged together such a list, and most
> > probably it will already be the last time. It just takes way too much
> > time and feels pretty much like a Sisyphus task as people just keep
> > sending RFS with very few non-DDs doing reviews (there are noteworthy
> > exceptions - [13] and possibly others).
>
> Hmm, how can we encourage non-DDs to review packages.
>
> I'm thinking it might work to offer sponsorship in exchange for
> reviews. So, a DD reviews a package from maintainer. If there are no
> blockers to the upload, the DD says, "looks good, review someone elses
> package and I'll upload it".

I see a small problem with this, and it is the following: imagine that
somebody packages a useful application. He has no special interest in Debian,
but only in that application, and it is an application we consider worth
enough to have in Debian.

That person creates the Debian package (as he creates packages for other
distros) and puts it here. It is a good package of a good app, and he will
have continuous interest in time for the package (that is, he will maintain
the package in shape).

Will we say him we will not upload his work just because he does not review
other package he has no interest at all in?

> I think I'll also do a workshop about reviewing packages at the
> MiniDebConf in Vietnam. Does anyone think that an online workshop (IRC
> or similar) about package review would be helpful?

Yes, I think it will be, but I do not know if it will be popular (timing
issues). Maybe several of them, or even periodic bug squashing^H^H^H package
reviewing parties? Of course, round the clock, for attendants (packagers and
mentors) be able to participate from all places in the world. This month in
European morning time, next month in American morning time, next month in
Japan morning time, last month in Middle East morning time, and start again.

Just thinking about
Noel
er envite