Re: Four days

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:52:09 +1100 Matthew Palmer wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 10:32:24PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> > > I think you missed his point. ;-)  Such a list already exists.  It's
> > > called debian-mentors.
> >
> > OK, I see the attempt at irony now; although that really misses my
> > original idea, which is to revamp the mentoring process with more of a
> > team-based focus.
>
> On the contrary; what is different about a team of people within Debian who
> wish to assist and mentor potential new developers, as opposed to the
> membership of the debian-mentors mailing list?

A lot.  The current process is individualized mentorship, not team
mentorship.‬ Again, there are two new ideas that I am suggesting.

One is to use the mentors mailing list as the maintainer for mentee
packages.  That way the burden of quickly orphaned packages is dispersed
over the whole set of mentors rather than just one.  Perhaps that will
encourage more DD participation since they won't stick themselves with a
lot of orphaned packages.

The other idea is to reduce DD involvement in the mentoring process
itself by making mentees more responsible for themselves. Take a set of
mentees, have them work together to get their packages in shape, then
maybe once a month (or every couple weeks) have them show the set of
packages that they have ready to the mentors list. That would also
reduce RFS traffic on this list.  This list would become more of a
coordination point for joining mentee teams.

Best wishes,
Mike