Re: Four days

Michael, thanks for suggesting new ideas even in the face of people making fun of you. It shows that you care about Debian, and I appreciate that.

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:

One is to use the mentors mailing list as the maintainer for mentee packages. That way the burden of quickly orphaned packages is dispersed over the whole set of mentors rather than just one. Perhaps that will encourage more DD participation since they won't stick themselves with a lot of orphaned packages.

For now, I don't have much of an opinion on this -- might be good, might be bad. But I think it's a radical structural change, and I think that there's still lots of room for social changes.

We're going to need to have a supportive social system in any environment, and that's the part I'm focused on right now.

The other idea is to reduce DD involvement in the mentoring process itself by making mentees more responsible for themselves. Take a set of mentees, have them work together to get their packages in shape, then maybe once a month (or every couple weeks) have them show the set of packages that they have ready to the mentors list. That would also reduce RFS traffic on this list. This list would become more of a coordination point for joining mentee teams.

I think that would be great.

The cool thing is, you (and others) can do that starting right now: Just email the debian-mentors list saying, "Hey, I'm not a DD, but I can review someone's package. First reply I get is what I'll review!" And if other people like the idea, they'll glom on.

If you want to chat more about ideas like that, or you want to help out prospective sponsorees, hang out in #debian-mentors on irc.debian.org (OFTC).

It's a really good idea... maybe I should actually ask my sponsorees to review other people's packages on the debian-mentors list as a sort of social "trade" -- I upload if you join the review team.

Actually, that sounds like fun. I will ask that of my sponsorees, going forward!

-- Asheesh.

--
Every cloud engenders not a storm.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"