Re: RFS: compactheader

Hi.

On Sep 02 2010, Williams Orellana wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "compactheader".

A quick follow up to comment on your package:

* Please, package version 1.2.4.

* Are you sure that the license is MPL-1.1+ and not the tri-license?

* Your packaging is under the GPL-3+ and this will cause any changes
  that you make to not be able to be pushed upstream (say that you
  produce a patch).

  Please, consider always having the packaging in the same terms as the
  upstream software, even if you would prefer another license.

* The short description should start with a lowercase letter.

* Your watch file doesn't seem to work:

,----
|   rbrito@chagas:/tmp/compactheader-1.2.3$ uscan --report-status
| uscan warning: In debian/watch,
|   no matching hrefs for watch line
|   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/downloads/file/92157/xpi/compactheader\-([\d\.]*)\-tb\.xpi debian xpi-repack
| rbrito@chagas:/tmp/compactheader-1.2.3$
`----

  It took me some time to figure out the better solution to use with
  mozilla addons. Just look into

    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/addons/13564/

  Be careful to regard the betas as lower than the final releases.
  Something like mangling the upstream version with s/beta/~beta/
  works.

* A more philosophical question is that of using xpi-repack to pack an
  extension: that simply seems to me like packaging the binary product
  of a program and not using the source code.

  I did this with the packages that I mentioned on my earlier e-mail,
  but I still think that this is wrong.

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA