Re: RFS: mbuffer (new package)

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 02:46:28AM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2009/12/10 Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>:
> > * Package name    : mbuffer
> >  Version         : 20091122-1
> >  Upstream Author : Thomas Maier-Komor <thomas@maier-komor.de>
> > * URL             : http://www.maier-komor.de/mbuffer.html
> > * License         : GPL-3+
> > * Language        : C
>
> Is there any reason for this debian/rules?
>
> $ cat rules
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
> #
> # Build rules for mbuffer, the stream buffering tool
>
> override_dh_auto_configure:
>         cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
>         cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
>         dh_auto_configure -- CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"
>
> override_dh_auto_test:
>
> %:
>         dh $@
>
> Could you rework the rules file[1] and be cross friendly[2]?
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550327

I realize that I'm replying to an e-mail about a package that has
already been uploaded :)  But since I'm trying to clear up everything
that was left unfinished in the initial upload (as mentioned in another
e-mail, the upstream author had promised a new version soon, and he did
indeed release it, and I'll be RFS'ing mbuffer-20091213-1 real soon
now, with the libmhash preference and a couple of other changes)...

Maybe I'm being a bit stupid here (happens to me all the time,
really :)), but I just don't see what is wrong with a rules file
like this.  Could you please explain a bit further what you think
needs changing?  If you mean the --build and --host arguments to
the GNU configure script, well, debhelper 7's dh_auto_configure
program provides them when needed, so that the DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE /
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE logic no longer has to be duplicated in all
the rules files all across the Debian archive :)  If you mean
something else... what is it, I honestly do not understand?

And once again, thanks for your time in reviewing mbuffer!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@space.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint	2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13