Re: RFS: collectl

Hello Tim,

thanks a lot for your help!

On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Tim Retout wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 12:26:01AM +0100, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor and a little help for my package "collectl".
> >
> > Firstly I have three package questions.
> >
> > 1) The package is based on perl and uses additional modules. As far I
> > know /usr/lib/perl5/collectl would be the optimal path. But upstream
> > prefers /usr/share/collectl.
>
> This depends on whether the perl modules are for use outside of collectl
> or not.  It's probably fine to use /usr/share/collectl, providing the
> package works.

Great, the patch series has two patches to make it working with
/usr/share/collectl. I think Mark plans to change future versions to find
collectl libs in that directory by default.

> > 2) Lintian complains
> >
> > W: collectl source: quilt-build-dep-but-no-series-file
> > N:
> > N: Using quilt requires you to explicitly list all patches you want to
> > N: apply in debian/patches/series. This package build-depends on quilt,
> > but
> >

> > I really do not know what it complains about, as there is non-empty
> > debian/patches/series file.
>
> In the copy on mentors.debian.net, there's no debian/patches/ directory,
> so I suspect it's been missed out somehow?

Arg, I think my fault. Accidentally I built with "debuild -i patches", which
also seems to ignore "debian/patches".

> > 3) ITP. An ITP to uload the package was opened by "Simmons, Christopher"
> > <Christopher.Simmons@pnl.gov> some time ago. But on the one hand
> > Christopher didn't update the bug report any more and then I created an
> > unofficial collectl package a long time before that. I definitely do not
> > insist to be the package maintainer. I just want to have collectl in
> > Debian. Christopher, if you are still interested in maintaining collectl,
> > please tell me so. We could either share maintenance or I could hand it
> > over to you.
>
> If there's no response within a week of your message, I'll be happy to
> just go ahead and sponsor your version.

Thanks a lot!

> I'm afraid I'm quite picky, though - I run lintian with '-iI --pedantic',
> so please do the same and fix as many messages as possible.  I'm 'diocles'
> on IRC if you have any questions.

I just fixed a couple of --pedantic complaints. Now two issues are left.

I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:139
[...]
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:198
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:200
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:202
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:203
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:208
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:228
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:229
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:239
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz:252
I: collectl: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/collectl.1.gz 25
more occurrences not shown

I already fixed several of those, but I have to admit, that I do not agree on
that solution. There is not a single "minus", but all dashes are "hyphens".
And replacing everything with "\(hy" only reduces readability on editing the
man page.

Second issue is that the helper utility "readS" doesn't have a man page. Mark,
any chance you could provide a short description what readS is actually for?
By reading the perl code for less than one minute I see it does lots of text
manipulation, but don't understand the main intent of the tool yet.

> I may also ask you to maintain this as part of the pkg-perl apps
> repository, but I haven't decided yet. :)

Ah, nice. I didn't know this group even exists. Although collectl is a bit
different than the other packages in that group, I think. E.g. it doesn't use
perl to install itself. Hmm, maybe I take on the of the other packages there
to improve that...

I just upload a new package version:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/collectl/collectl_3.3.6-4.dsc

Time to go to bed now...