Re: RFS: collectl

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 12:26:01AM +0100, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor and a little help for my package "collectl".
>
> Firstly I have three package questions.
>
> 1) The package is based on perl and uses additional modules. As far I know
> /usr/lib/perl5/collectl would be the optimal path. But upstream prefers
> /usr/share/collectl.

This depends on whether the perl modules are for use outside of collectl
or not.  It's probably fine to use /usr/share/collectl, providing the
package works.

> 2) Lintian complains
>
> W: collectl source: quilt-build-dep-but-no-series-file
> N:
> N: Using quilt requires you to explicitly list all patches you want to
> N: apply in debian/patches/series. This package build-depends on quilt, but
>

> I really do not know what it complains about, as there is non-empty
> debian/patches/series file.

In the copy on mentors.debian.net, there's no debian/patches/ directory,
so I suspect it's been missed out somehow?

> 3) ITP. An ITP to uload the package was opened by "Simmons, Christopher"
> <Christopher.Simmons@pnl.gov> some time ago. But on the one hand Christopher
> didn't update the bug report any more and then I created an unofficial
> collectl package a long time before that. I definitely do not insist to be the
> package maintainer. I just want to have collectl in Debian. Christopher, if
> you are still interested in maintaining collectl, please tell me so. We could
> either share maintenance or I could hand it over to you.

If there's no response within a week of your message, I'll be happy to
just go ahead and sponsor your version.

I'm afraid I'm quite picky, though - I run lintian with '-iI --pedantic',
so please do the same and fix as many messages as possible.  I'm 'diocles'
on IRC if you have any questions.

I may also ask you to maintain this as part of the pkg-perl apps
repository, but I haven't decided yet. :)

--
Tim Retout <tim@retout.co.uk>