Re: RFS: elgg

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Brett Profitt <brett.profitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to respectfully disagree that this is a sign of code quality.
> I can agree that allowing multiple sites is good practice, but it is a
> feature of the software, not an indication of code quality.  Many--if
> not most--of the PHP applications packaged for Debian are configured
> this way, and I doubt these packages would be in Debian if their
> quality were seriously lacking.

Many of these also include embedded code copies or have a history of
security issues.

> What is the plan if upstream doesn't see the need to include this
> feature?  Making Debian-only modifications that would allow multiple
> sites is of course possible, but at that point I'd be introducing
> features (and possibly bugs) not found upstream.  I would, to some
> degree, be forking upstream...

Well, it would be a branch rather than a fork. It is entirely
reasonable to have Debian-only modifications (or a distro-agnostic
eglibc-style branch) if upstream doesn't want to be more flexible. It
is also entirely reasonable to not patch in such flexibility if you
don't want to diverge from upstream.

--
bye,
pabs