Re: Lintian clean? (was: Re: RFS: mpview)

On Sun, 3 May 2009 22:25:07 +0200
Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:

> + Paul Wise (Sun, 03 May 2009 15:56:23 +0800):
>
> > m.d.n (currently) only has source packages to deal with so that
> > makes the lintian warnings from there much less useful.
>
> Will/could/should debexpo require that uploads are accompanied with
> binaries, even if to throw them away after running eg. lintian?

I'd like them kept, personally. I don't use them often, but it is
useful to have them around and (IMHO) we should keep mentors close to
how Debian normally operates and Debian does still retain the binaries.

> Additionally, would it be useful to keep them around, but available
> only for sponsors? I know myself I *sometimes* like looking at the
> binary packages without compiling them myself, to catch a first round
> of errors.

I do things like check the postinst and other generated package content
and for a quick overview of not just what files are in the package but
what kind of files they are and what they may contain. (I use deb-gview
for that role.)

As long as the binaries are never put into any apt repository, it's
probably better to retain the uploaded binaries.

--

Neil Williams