Re: RFS: ustr

Hi,
thanks for your suggestions first.

> Hi,
>
> I am not a DD, so I cannot sponsor etc.
>
> I checked your package, it builds in pbuilder, is lintian clean and it
> looks good. Some random remarks:
>
> * Linda says:
>
> $ linda ustr_1.0.1-1_i386.changes
> W: libustr-1.0-1; The library libustr is not in a shlibs file.
> W: libustr-debug-1.0-1; The library libustr-debug is not in a shlibs file.
> E: libustr-debug-1.0-1; Binary /usr/lib/libustr-debug-1.0.so.1.0.1
> contains unneeded section comment.
> E: libustr-debug-1.0-1; Binary /usr/lib/libustr-debug-1.0.so.1.0.1 is
> not stripped.

I doubt about worthiness to have `-debug' packages now. Should I exclude
libustr-debug-1.0-1 and libustr-debug-dev? If someone needs to debug
ustr, he can build a debug library himself and so have the sources...

The warning about `The library libustr is not in a shlibs file.' is
probably because of SONAME/name of library:
zito@bobek:~$ objdump -p /usr/lib/libustr-1.0.so.1.0.1 |grep SONAME
  SONAME      libustr-1.0.so.1

A package with similar name is for example libglib1.2:
zito@bobek:/tmp$ linda libglib1.2_1.2.10-17_i386.deb
W: libglib1.2; The library libglib is not in a shlibs file.
W: libglib1.2; The library libgmodule is not in a shlibs file.
W: libglib1.2; The library libgthread is not in a shlibs file.

Can I fix this somehow? Is this a problem in linda?

> * you use debian/patches to fix some things in upstream sources, that
> is good. I noticed you change the upstream Makefile, but leave the
> changes in the ustr_1.0.1-1.diff.gz file - why not to create a regular
> patch and put that into debian/patches among your other patches?

My intention was to use or to create a patch for bugs or things, that
should be propagated upstream. So I used three patches from Fedora
8 source rpm (html_doc_fixes.patch import_repl.patch
inst_examples.patch) and created man_whatis.patch patch.
Debianized Makefile is left in the packages diff.
I started packaging with git-buildpackage and I'm expecting, that
git-import-orig will do merging on Makefile for me.

Is Debian/patches used for everything preferable?
I think this is more handwork than using git-buildpackage.

> * your sponsor will probably require to add an extra space in the
> Homepage in all your descriptions:
>  .
>   Homepage: http://www.and.org/ustr/
>
> or use the new Homepage field.

Thanks.
Will be fixed.

> * uscan didn't work for me:
>
> $ uscan --verbose
> -- Scanning for watchfiles in .
> -- Found watchfile in ./debian
> -- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
>    http://www.and.org/ustr/(?:\d+\.\d+\.\d+)/ustr-(.*)\.tar\.gz
> Parsing of undecoded UTF-8 will give garbage when decoding entities at
> /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol.pm line 114, <WATCH> line 2.
>
> and it hangs.

Unfortunately this is bug in the LWP or bad usage of the LWP when
downloading from a page with utf-8 encoding. The upstream author (James
Antill) provides a better URL http://www.and.org/ustr/latest/ now [*],
which is a redirection to the latest download directory. This URL is
directory index only so no problem with it.
Will be fixed.

[*] Unfortunately, the URL http://www.and.org/ustr/latest redirects to
1.0.1 now, althought there is 1.0.2 version already. I hope, this
will be fixed soon by James Antill.

I'm going to update package to 1.0.2...

Best Regards
--