Re: RFS: libj2ssh-java

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007, tony mancill wrote:
> Can you provide any generic guidelines on how large the docs should
> be to warrant a separate -doc package? This comes up from time to
> time sponsoring, and for new packages I've seen packages rejected
> because the -doc package was too small.

The general rule is the -doc package should be large enough that its
presence significantly impacts either the mirror or the installed size
of the package *or* would legitimately have a dependency relationship
(recommends, suggests, etc.) without including the non-doc packages.

An Arch: all non-doc package(s) needs a bigger -doc package to
counteract the package list size increase than an Arch: any package.

If the -doc package is at least on the order of a megabyte and a
significant portion of the size of the non-doc package(s), there's
generally little question about splitting it out. If it's less than
200K, or an insignificant portion of the non-doc package, there's
generally little point.

Most of the time it's pretty obvious. If it's not, err on the side of
not making an extra package, but make one if your users file a bug.

Don Armstrong

--
Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but
that's not why we do it.