Re: RFS: FSlint - File System lint

Christoph Haas wrote:

>>>Yea, this is the "source package".  You could have an empty .diff.gz
>>
>>Done. The following "source package" was built with:
>>dpkg-source -b fslint-2.15 fslint_2.15.orig.tar.gz
>>
>>http://www.pixelbeat.org/fslint/debian/
>

> Much better! Thanks.
>

>>I'm confused as to why it didn't ask me to sign it.
>

> Depends on how you built the package. Usually I run "debuild" which will
> try to sign the package afterwards. Signing the package is important if
> the package gets uploaded to Debian because you need a Debian
> developer's signature on the package to be accepted in the official
> repositories - just a security measure.

cool, So I'll need to register my signature as a Debian Developer.
I'll figure out how to do this thanks.

> However the package is not yet in perfect shape. Run "lintian" on the
> final package (lintian -i *deb) to see some obvious problems.

Right, I'll lintian it and also read up on debian packaging policies.

> Just in case there is a misunderstanding. You usually don't need to care
> for a Debian package. It's okay to have someone who is familiar with
> Debian to deal with all the policy and procedures. Here I assume that
> you are personally interested in maintaining the Debian package. Just to
> let you know there are surely volunteers in the Debian project so you
> can concentrate on developing the actual (upstream) software.

Sure. It would be better if someone stepped up,
but in my experience I think it will be faster if I do everything myself.

thanks,
Pádraig.