Re: Slatec

Hello, Muammar...

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 12:38:43PM -0400, Muammar Wadih El Khatib Rodriguez wrote:
> My name is Muammar El Khatib, I'm a chemistry student and I'm doing my
> thesis on nonlinear optic (quantum chemistry).
>
> There is a package called slatec and is up for adoption. I'm
> interested to maintain this package. I talked with the developer who
> was maintaining slatec, and he told me that I had to  find a sponsor.

That's right. There is nothing wrong with maintaining a package without
being a 'Debian developer'. You just need a "sponsor" who is a developer
who uploads the package on your behalf. Depending on the reliability of the
sponsor this might be easy. Finding a Debian developer who is personally
interested in the package might help.

> I'm reading all the documentation of debian, and one step is write to
> debian-mentors.

I would suggest you first follow the procedure described in
http://www.de.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ (search the page for 'ITA') to show
everybody you are now working on the package. Find the pseudo bug report
dealing with the request for adoption at http://bugs.debian.org/263050

As soon as you have a working package online (perhaps with the current bugs
already fixed) you should post a RFS (request for sponsorship) here telling
everybody where your package can be found. If you don't have any space on
the web you can as well use mentors.debian.net. Developers will then
hopefully contact you to check the package and arrange the upload.

Good luck and thanks for your contribution.

Kindly
 Christoph
--
~