Re: PDF files and dh_compress

Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> wrote:

> At 1147099677 past the epoch, Craig Small wrote:
>> Whatever the compression is, it is not too good.
>> I'm getting about 10-30% compression on pdfs.
>
> Which raises the question, what is acceptable? I don't think
> a 10% gain in itself is worth gzipping PDFs for.  If 10% was
> the  "threshold",  bzip2 should be used instead of  gzip for
> other things in /usr/share/doc.
>
> I think PDFs use ZIP internally. ZIP has compression ratios,
> perhaps PDFs can be re-packed to use a higher ratio?

If the PDF was generated by pdfTex on a Debian machine, the highest
compression level (9) is already used.  I don't know what happens when
it's created via dvi->ps->pdf, and gs' documentation isn't clear about
that, but ps2pdf14's pdf files are even slightly smaller (well, in a
sample of two files...)

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster