Re: PDF files and dh_compress

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 11:41:17PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> So is there a recommendation anywhere in dev ref or deb policy regarding
> the PDF files?
>
> Shouldn't it be recommended (withing dev ref or deb policy) to keep PDFs
> not compressed with gzip on top (at least in -doc packages)?
>
> Obviousely dh_compress doesn't bother checking if there is a good reason
> to compress the file (like some threshold gain, after which file has to
> be compressed). I doubt that it is worth implementing, but I think it
> should at least take care about not compressing pdf's in -doc packages.
> What do you think?
Fix the policy not the tool.
If there is a good reason not to compress pdf files, then it should be
put into the policy as an exception.  Currently if dh_compress did not
compress pdf files, it breaks 12.3 of policy.

There may be very good technical reasons for not compress pdf's, that's
fine, but we should not be fixing this just for one set of packaging
tools.

> is worth to provide linda/lintian warnings about twice compressed
> files or at least compressed pdfs in -doc packages.
Once policy is changed, yes. But not before.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer