Re: A list of common gotchas in Debian packaging

Panu Kalliokoski <atehwa@sange.fi> writes:

> I wonder, whether there is a list of these "common gotchas" in packaging
> somewhere, or a checklist for package quality?  In a similar vein, I
> wonder whether there is a checklist of qa procedures to do for a fresh
> package, like lintian/linda testing, piuparts testing, and building with
> pbuilder.  If not, somebody (I?) should probably compile these lists
> from various sources.

BTW, patches to lintian to implement any of these checks are welcome.  I
know that there are a few already in the BTS that I need to work on
integrating (including taking another pass at the Homepage checks), but
the more the merrier.

One thing that would make me very happy is if someone could come up with a
good method of performing checks on maintainer scripts that's better than
the current guesswork.  Unfortunately, I think to do this properly one
would have to duplicate a fair amount of the parser logic of a Bourne
shell so that one could tell when one was processing a command, its
arguments, or something else.  But it would be lovely to have this, and
there are a lot of checks that could be done much more thoroughly and
reliably with this logic.