Re: Mx Backup

On 2004-06-17 Millis Miller <millis@faztek.org> wrote:
>>> Sure, no problem.  Don't do it.  The problems you think it solves
>>> are outweighed by the problems it causes.

> That's the second time I've heard this opinion about Backup MX, but
> do not understand the reason for it.

This is caused by the fact that a great number of secondary MX are
misconfigured. - They accept mail for invalid@domain even if the
primary MX would reject it. And this causes the sending of a bounce
message. Some years ago this was not too bad but today spam and
viruses which use valid third-party email adresses as sender are
*very* wide-spread and therefore these bounces cause big pain.

A proper secondary MX has to implement the same policies as the
primary one (virus, scanning, blacklists, lists of known local parts
for the domain.)
                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"