Re: newbie packaging question

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:12:52PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:24:13AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 07:38:11PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > > The things which absolutely have to be in a package in order to be
> > > built are debian/rules and debian/control.  debian/rules gives the
> > > commands required to make the package, and debian/control has the
> > > information necessary to name the binary packages, dependencies, and
> > > the rest.
> >
> > debian/changelog must also be present.
>
> D'oh.  Knew I forgot something.
>
> Will the packaging tools complain if you have no copyright file, too?  I
> know it's necessary for uploading, of course, and I'm sure lintian would
> have a right whinge, but will (eg) debhelper scripts have a complain, to
> your knowledge?

Don't think so; dh_installdocs is the only thing that cares about the
copyright file at all, and looking at the source it doesn't look like
it'll mind if it doesn't exist. I've certainly built quick test packages
in the past without copyright files and had no problems other than the
obvious lintian warning.

I think this is correct behaviour, really. After all, packaging tools
should be general where it's reasonable to be, and the copyright file is
exclusively a Debian policy thing.

Cheers,