newbie packaging question

Hi!

I hope that I've selected the correct debian mailing list for this question. But if not, I would appreciate if you could redirect properly.

I am just starting to learn about debian packaging with the goal of creating debian packages for our systems. These would be proprietary packages for physical devices - i.e. not much use for anyone to be included in the debian distro.

My first steps are proving to be quite haltingly slow. I'm the Debian New Maintainer's Guide and I've setup a simple goal for myself. To take an installation .bin (known to work) and make a debian package out of it. No sources, just a .bin. Then debian, upon installing this package, would simply run a little config script to run the .bin file.

But in following the instructions in the doc it tells me to create some directories with my source in them, then use dh-make first. But dh_make keeps telling me it can't find my source package.

So two questions, does the source package need to be raw code or is it specific term to refer to a C source filled directory? And two, is my goal reasonable for a first-timer?

thx

Eric