Re: LSB init.d headers and the insserv script from SuSe

[Mats Wichmann]
> That said, there's also nothing stopping distros from following the
> conventions if they wish to.

By adding LSB headers to my init.d scripts, running insserv to reorder
the symlinks in /etc/rcS.d/ and /etc/rc2.d/, and then patch
/etc/init.d/rcS and /etc/init.d/rc to start processes with the same
order value in parallel, I was able to reduce the boot time by 62%.  I
expect to be able to speed it up even further by doing real dependency
tracking and starting more processes in parallel.

See the initscripts-ng mailing lists for details and patches.

Based on this initial prototype, I believe it is a very good idea for
debian to add dependency info into the init.d scripts.  Using the LSB
format seem to me like the best approach.