Re: LSB init.d headers and the insserv script from SuSe

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

Hi.

I recently started looking at the debian boot sequence, and the
possibility of speeding up the boot time.  During this work, I came
across the LSB init.d comment convention,
<URL:http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.1.0/LSB-generic/LSB-generic/initscrcomconv.html>,
standardizing how to specify init.d script dependencies.  I also found
the insserv program from SuSe, capable of updating the start and stop
symlinks in /etc/rc#.d/ based on the dependency information.  I
patched the suse program slightly to get it working in Debian.
Debian already handles this their own way, a capability which should be installed if the LSB support package is installed. install_initd and remove_initd work as they are supposed to.

It is
available from
<URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/~pere/debian/insserv_1.00.8-0.0.pere.1_i386.deb>.

It would be really helpful if all the init.d scripts in Debian had
dependency information.

Are anyone in the debian-lsb subproject working on issues related to
the init.d script handling?  What are the current plans to make debian
LSB 2 compilant in this regard?

I can't speak to any plans, but most distros do not choose to implement the standard for their own scripts, and they are not required to to be LSB compliant - the standard describes a way for applications to be able to add their own initscripts and have them work sensibly. That said, there's also nothing stopping distros from following the conventions if they wish to.