Expat license and "free for academic users"

Hello,

[Please keep me in CC, I am not subscribed]

I encountered a package EvoEF2 [1] which is licensed under Expat and has the following in its README.md:

"EvoEF2 is free to academic users."

To me such limitation seems to contradict the Expat license, but I wonder what is the legal opinion about such combination. I know that I can always ask the upstream for clarification which I did earlier when the restriction was:

"... unauthorized copying of the source code files via any medium is strictly prohibited."

However, I am interested in the legal meaning of the current situation.

[1] https://github.com/tommyhuangthu/EvoEF2
[2] https://github.com/tommyhuangthu/EvoEF2/issues/1

Best,
Andrius