Re: Fonts that must be purchased - nonfree?

Dear Bagas,

I thought Klim Type Foundry had really lost it until I realised that an error in
their website made my browser replace all their 'Helvetica-inspired' fonts with
Bitstream Vera Serif!

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 08:37:06PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> For the background: The foodb upstream uses non-free (commercial) Söhne font,
> for which the upstream has bought and acquired appropriate licenses for the
> package purpose, and I was about to package it for Debian including the
> font. He probably chooses Söhne because there is no suitable free fonts that
> provide the same or similar typographical features as Söhne do (and partly due
> to ChatGPT influence). Hence, I was asked if the font can be distributed in
> Debian, since I had not found similar thread in debian-legal list.

I've had a look at the Söhne specimens to see if I can find a free typeface with
similar features. Söhne is definitely unique; I think the closest I've found is
Nimbus Sans L Regular. It looks pretty similar to Söhne's lower weights,
including the distinctive right-facing terminal of the 'a'. However, it's not
such a good match at heavier weights, where I would say Söhne looks more
'friendly'.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Sebastian