Re: Fonts that must be purchased - nonfree?

Hi Bagas

On 2023/06/11 12:22, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
Several questions remain:

* The foodb upstream has already bought the font license (in case
   of Söhne, he bought desktop and web license). If I as Debian packager
   wants to also distribute Söhne for the sake of foodb (under license
   in the name of Debian), at least both licenses and OEM license must
   also be purchased, IMO. Is both all licenses acceptable?

You haven't actually shared the license text in question, so very specific answers isn't possible.

* With Debian distributing this commercial font, there is a "pirating"
   loophole that someone else can extract the font files and distributing
   them freely on various sites (including torrent and shady ones) with
   Debian licensee attached. What do you think?

To be included in Debian, it has to conform with the Debian Free Software Guidelines:
https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Licensing conditions like you describe above would be against DFSG#8.

* Supposed that the foodb upstream refuses to change the font choice
   (and insists on Söhne) due to his preference when I request the
   change after reading this fact. What can I do about it?

Your top options are probably:

 * You can choose not to package it,
 * Supply a patch in the packaging that makes it
   use another font or
 * Host it in an external archive outside of Debian.

-Jonathan