Re: Fonts that must be purchased - nonfree?

On 6/11/23 16:37, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 01:19:48PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was stumbled on Söhne font collection, primarily due to ChatGPT
>> uses it for its web interface. I'd like to also use it for hypothetical
>> web app (let's name it foodb) to be packaged in Debian (due to design
>> constraints). However, in order to acquire the font, I have to buy it [1]
>> (buy its license). Can the font be included in Debian package of foodb
>> (or as separate package), or is it non-free?
>>

> This would be permanently non-free because it couldn't be distributed
> without individuals purchasing the fonts. Please consider using free
> fonts that already exist within Debian / could be freely packaged and
> distributed.

Hi Andy, thanks for the answer.

Several questions remain:

* The foodb upstream has already bought the font license (in case
  of Söhne, he bought desktop and web license). If I as Debian packager
  wants to also distribute Söhne for the sake of foodb (under license
  in the name of Debian), at least both licenses and OEM license must
  also be purchased, IMO. Is both all licenses acceptable?

* With Debian distributing this commercial font, there is a "pirating"
  loophole that someone else can extract the font files and distributing
  them freely on various sites (including torrent and shady ones) with
  Debian licensee attached. What do you think?

* Supposed that the foodb upstream refuses to change the font choice
  (and insists on Söhne) due to his preference when I request the
  change after reading this fact. What can I do about it?

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara