Re: Logo trademark license vs. copyright license

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 00:11:57 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > To use them as long as there's no confusion going on.
> > If a logo means endorsement, you cannot use it on non endorsed
> > products.
>
> If the license works like this, I cannot take the official logo
> and use it to promote my car repair business.
>
> I thought the whole idea was that I *could* put the Official Use
> logo on anything, as long as I didn't falsely pretend my product
> was endorsed. My car repair business has nothing to do with
> the Debian Project, no one will be confused about the origin of
> my service and I do not pretend I am an affiliate of Debian.
>
> If you do want to permit this, there won't be much difference
> between the Official and the Open logo anymore.
>
> If you don't want to permit this, then maybe this open trademark
> license is not the right choice. You need some pretty tough
> usage restrictions if you want to control the official use logo
> to that extent.

OK, I think I begin to see your point and which is the question the
Debian Project has to answer: should people be allowed to use the
Official Use Logo on anything, as long as endorsement is not claimed?

I think I must stop for a while and wait for some opinions from DDs
(which I am not...), before going on with the proposed trademark license
text.
Also, a clarification by Nathanael on what he meant to achieve with his
original proposal would be useful: Nathanael, did you intend to allow or
forbid the above-outlined scenario?

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/etch_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian etch installation walk-through?