Re: license of cstex / cslatex

"Thomas Esser" <te@dbs.uni-hannover.de> wrote in message [🔎] 20060525174346.GA6130@dbs.uni-hannover.de">news:[🔎] 20060525174346.GA6130@dbs.uni-hannover.de...
Hi,

the teTeX package contains files which use the following license:

   COPYRIGHT
   =========

   This macro package (csplain.ini, il2code.tex, csfonts.tex, hyphen.lan,
   plaina4.tex) is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
   your option) any later version with the following appendix:

   You can do any changes in this software for your own usage. However,
   you cannot distribute the changed software under the same name
   "csplain".  Only the current administrator of CSTeX can do official
   changes to csplain.

   This macro package is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
   General Public License for more details.

   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
   USA

I had done modifications of three files of that package and distributed
the changed files using the original filename. The author told me that
this violates his license. Actually, this only happened, because when
reading his license the first time, I stopped as soon as I saw a reference
to the GPL (and did not read the appendix).

Questions:
   - is it valid to refer to GPL and add such severe restrictions in
     an appendix?

It is legal AFAIK (IANAL), but is relly poor form.
Also it makes the work GPL-incompatible, which kindof
defeats the point of using the GPL.

   - is this a "free software" license in the FSF definition?
Probably, but name changing clauses are a pain.

   - is this license free enough to allow an inclusion of the software
     into debian?

I believe it is DFSG-free, but it is not a great licence.