Re: libjlha-java license problem

Ying-Chun Liu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I intend to package libjlha-java which can be downloaded from
> http://homepage1.nifty.com/dangan/Content/Program/Java/jLHA/LhaLibrary.html
> . In every source files (*.java) there is a license written in Japanese:
>
> Copyright (C) 2002  Michel Ishizuka  All rights reserved.
>
> 以下の条件に同意するならばソースとバイナリ形式の再配布と使用を
> 変更の有無にかかわらず許可する。
>
> 1.ソースコードの再配布において著作権表示と この条件のリスト
>     および下記の声明文を保持しなくてはならない。
>
> 2.バイナリ形式の再配布において著作権表示と この条件のリスト
>     および下記の声明文を使用説明書もしくは その他の配布物内に
>     含む資料に記述しなければならない。
>
> このソフトウェアは石塚美珠瑠によって無保証で提供され、特定の目
> 的を達成できるという保証、商品価値が有るという保証にとどまらず、
> いかなる明示的および暗示的な保証もしない。
> 石塚美珠瑠は このソフトウェアの使用による直接的、間接的、偶発
> 的、特殊な、典型的な、あるいは必然的な損害(使用によるデータの
> 損失、業務の中断や見込まれていた利益の遺失、代替製品もしくは
> サービスの導入費等が考えられるが、決してそれだけに限定されない
> 損害)に対して、いかなる事態の原因となったとしても、契約上の責
> 任や無過失責任を含む いかなる責任があろうとも、たとえそれが不
> 正行為のためであったとしても、またはそのような損害の可能性が報
> 告されていたとしても一切の責任を負わないものとする。
>
> There is also an English license written by the author on
> http://homepage1.nifty.com/dangan/en/Content/Program/Java/jLHA/LhaLibrary.html
> The english version is indeed an DFSG-free license, BSD-like and
> GPL-compatible. But the english license is NOT in the source tarball.
>
> I want to know if I can package this software into Debian main. Thanks
> for comments.

Assuming that someone versed in Japanese can verify that the above
license corresponds to a normal 2-clause BSD license, you may indeed
include the software in Debian main.  Debian main requires DFSG-free
licenses; it does not require English licenses.  That said, you might
consider including the English version from the author's webpage in
debian/copyright in addition to the Japanese version, appropriately
identified.

- Josh Triplett