Re: CDDL

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:28:46PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> [License follows as inline MIME foo]

html2text is a piece of crap.

> At the same time, I'd like to experiment with an idea I've been toying
> with for a slightly more (informally) directed approach to license
> analysis, that should prove harder to derail with long pointless
> tangents and more immune to revisionism by the hecklers.

We've tried several attempts at summarising the conclusions on this
list in the past, but they've always floundered because ultimately,
they did not reflect the way that we do things. We *don't* produce a
detailed description of what's wrong with a license, we just discuss
it on a mailing list. The problem with that is that it's hard to
follow for people not involved.

The idea is basically this: since we can't realistically impose a
conventional debate structure on a mailing list, turn it around and
realise that we don't need to bother. Some basic rules of form can be
applied after the event, and then we just look at the result and see
what actual valid conclusions the discussion produced, if any.

Here's what I have in mind:

http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/licenses/cddl/summary.html

It's essentially a record of what happened, arranged in the logical
structure of the arguments made. At the same time, it's a summary of
the conclusion, and a hit list of the things you have to disprove if
you want to change the outcome. It's intended to be kept roughly up to
date as the discussion progresses.

It is not intended to replace documents like
http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html although it
may be a useful resource in writing them. I'll take typographical
corrections, and restatements of a point to improve clarity, but if
you have anything new to add, you should be making your case to the
list. This is just a record, not a new forum for debate.

[This is by way of a working prototype; I have a whole bunch of things
I still want to do to present the information in a more useful manner,
and my approach to duplicated points is currently flawed so some mails
in the thread aren't currently represented here. I'm planning to fix
this sometime in the next week. Also it looks like crap. I'm not
planning to fix that].

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |