Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 05:54:34PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 09, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:

> > Debian has always been full of software licensed that way ;-) Now you want
> > (unintentially) to leave possible holes thru new 'a-la sco insane cases' to
> > enter the scene... all over the world.
> Not "now". Debian (and I think every other distribution) has been
> distributing software with this kind of licenses for years, without any
> apparent ill effect on users.

> And do not forget that there are many places (e.g. California) which
> allow big companies (e.g. the MPAA or Adobe) to sue there people from
> other states or countries (e.g. people accused to violate the DMCA)
> without even the need for a license... If you look at the big picture,
> choice of venue clauses are not much important.

Erm, Matt Pavlovich *won* that appeal to the California supreme court;
distribution of allegedly infringing material over the Internet is *not*
sufficient to give the California courts jurisdiction over a case.  But
accepting a choice of venue clause is.