Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

Scripsit Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk>

> Why does the "exotic courts" aspect actually make any significant
> difference? Are you honestly asserting that the cost of me travelling
> to, say, Finland is going to be large compared to the costs of hiring a
> lawyer to defend me?

I am. If the plaintiff has no evidence to precent, there is no need
for to hire a lawyer. There is, however, a need to show up in court
and explicitly call bullshit.

>> By orders of magnitude.

> I'd like to see those figures.

A bicycle trip to my local courthouse: DKK 2, including write-offs on
the bicycle. A trip to some court in America: Tens of thousands of
DKKs.

>> We protect against leaving easy target by considering software
>> non-free if its licence demands that you position yourself as an
>> easier target that you would be without the license.

> Any license that imposes any restrictions on me leaves me an easier
> target than I would be without the license - it's much easier to find an
> excuse to sue someone over a piece of GPLed software than a piece of
> BSD licensed code.

False. If you keep what you're doing within the grant of right the
license gives you, then the existence of the GPL can in no way leave
you more vulnerable to bogus lawsuits.

--
Henning Makholm                                                  "Nett hier.
                             Aber waren Sie schon mal in Baden-Württemberg?"