Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Friday 09 September 2005 17:35, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Humberto Massa Guimarães <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br> wrote:
> >> I doubt that "people who do not wish to become legally bound to appear
> >> at the the author's home court whenever he files a frivolous lawsuit"
> >> can be meaningfully described as a "group of persons" that can be
> >> discriminated against. If everybody belongs to the group, is it
> >> meaningfull to discriminate against it?
> >
> > Try "people who do not have enough money to travel to $VENUE to defend
> > themselves from a frivolous lawsuit -- one that they will lose by
> > defaulting their court appearance". I think Debian agrees that "poor
> > people" in general is a group that is protected by DFSG#5.
>
> Whereas the alternative may be that licensors are unable to afford the
> enforcement of their license. Would you prefer to discriminate against
> them?

Debian has always been full of software licensed that way ;-) Now you want
(unintentially) to leave possible holes thru new 'a-la sco insane cases' to
enter the scene... all over the world.

> The legal system discriminates in favour of rich people. That's true
> regardless of license conditions.

I'll agree here ! Then why leave easy targets to lawsuit sharks ?

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB