Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> On Friday 09 September 2005 17:35, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Whereas the alternative may be that licensors are unable to afford the
>> enforcement of their license. Would you prefer to discriminate against
>> them?
>
> Debian has always been full of software licensed that way ;-) Now you want
> (unintentially) to leave possible holes thru new 'a-la sco insane cases' to
> enter the scene... all over the world.

But that's already possible. The majority (all?) of licenses that we
ship don't prevent me from being sued arbitrarily. The only difference
that choice of venue makes is that it potentially increases the cost for
me. Within the UK alone, I can end up paying fairly large travel fees to
deal with a court case. But I'll have to pay a lot more for a lawyer.
Being sued in the US wouldn't be significantly more expensive for me
than being sued here.

>> The legal system discriminates in favour of rich people. That's true
>> regardless of license conditions.
>
> I'll agree here ! Then why leave easy targets to lawsuit sharks ?

How do we protect against that currently?
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org