Re: Linux and GPLv2

Matthew Palmer wrote:

> I fear a lot of unpleasant forking action when the GPLv3 comes out, if it
> contains significant language changes along the lines of the GFDL (which I
> believe it will, from statements I've read from RMS and Hasn Reiser, amongst
> others), between people who decide to go "v2 only" and those who like v3 and
> will go "v2 or later" or even "v3 or later", which will effectively produce
> licence-incompatible forks.

:-(

Let's hope that the powers that be have enough foresight to avoid this as much
as possible. I think that the GPLv2 needs to be updated to, somehow, deal with
the problem of software patents. Ok, IANAL, but I'd like to see a clause that
says, "I won't sue you for any sw patents I might have covering this code". The
phrasing would be tricky to get right, but you get my meaning. I am very
worried about sw patents, and I'm hoping that the GPLv3 will address them to
some extent.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.