Re: Linux and GPLv2

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Let's hope that the powers that be have enough foresight to avoid this as much
> as possible. I think that the GPLv2 needs to be updated to, somehow, deal with
> the problem of software patents. Ok, IANAL, but I'd like to see a clause that
> says, "I won't sue you for any sw patents I might have covering this code". The

In my opinion, the GPLv2 says exactly that with its "you may not impose
any further restrictions" language. Demanding royalties for a patent
covering the GPL code you distribute is a further restriction. I discuss
this at some length at
http://www.iusmentis.com/computerprograms/opensourcesoftware/patentrisks/#Patentrisksforpatentholders

I'm interested in why you think it's not.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself