Re: Linux and GPLv2

Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@math.umd.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> My understanding is that Linux is distributed under the GPLv2
> exclusively. That is, instead of the usual "GPL version 2 or later" it
> just says "GPL version 2".

That's what it says, yes.  People occasionally question the validity
of that, though, arguing that the statement was added after many
people had already made contributions.

> Given the vast number of Linux contributors, this means that Linux
> won't be able to migrate to the GPLv3 when it comes out, correct?

That would be the case.  Is this a problem?

Personally, I'd be very sceptical about releasing code under a license
containing a blanket permission to use it under another yet to be
written license.  What if I don't at all agree with GPLv3?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com