Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:40:52 -0800 Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:15:20PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:16:46 +0000 Matthew Garrett wrote:
[...]
> > I think that these issues are sarge-ignore because of GR2004-004,
> > but will be release-critical bugs post-Sarge.
>
> GR-2004-003 changed the text of the social contract, it did not change
> the text of the DFSG.
>
> Point 2 of the DFSG still says
>
>   2. Source Code
>
>      The program must include source code, and must allow distribution
>      in source code as well as compiled form.
>
> You've got a bit of work ahead of you if you want to show that a
> clause that explicitly says "the program", "source code", and
> "compiled form" applies to works that aren't programs and lack any
> traditional distinction between source and compiled forms.
>
> To be precise, since I went so far as to second GR-2004-003 and do not
> share this interpretation of its meaning, if you expect this to be
> release-critical for etch you will need to pass a GR that clarifies
> the DFSG in this (IMHO detrimental to Debian) manner, get the
> ftpmasters to overrule me by removing such packages from main, or get
> the DPL to appoint a new RM.

Well, I'm a bit surprised, here.
You were the proposal A proposer in GR 2004-004 and the rationale seems
to state that your understanding of both versions of the Social Contract
(the one previous GR 2004-003 and the new one as amended by GR 2004-003
itself) implies that DFSG apply to everything we distribute in main, not
only programs.
See http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_004

Now you seem to claim that DFSG#2 does not apply to non-programs,
because its explanation says "program".

Are you implying that a 2-clause-BSD licensed manual can be distributed
in main in PDF format, if the LaTeX source (preferred by upstream for
making modifications to it) is kept secret and not available?

Note that manuals are not programs (usually).
Note that I intentionally chose a license that allows binary only
distribution, so that my example is a pure Freeness issue and not also a
copyright infringement one.

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4