Re: Question on gnuplot licensing and why it is in main

Henning Makholm wrote:

No, because the quoted license explicitly allows the distribution of
binaries built from modified sources. That kind of patch-clause
licenses is specifically blessed by DFSG #4.

OK.  I think understand.  qmail and pine are non-free because they
disallow binary distribution, period.  gnuplot can go into main since
the Debian project distributes sources as a .orig.tar.gz and a .diff.gz
(except for native Debian packages like apt)?

For instance, if DFSG required the ability to distribute complete
modified source as one monolithic entity, then that would be
incompatible. Correct?  I am just trying to make sure that I understand
this, for my own edification.

-Roberto

P.S. Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to -legal.

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr