Re: Question on gnuplot licensing and why it is in main

Scripsit "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net>

>   * Permission to modify the software is granted, but not the right to
>   * distribute the complete modified source code.  Modifications are to
>   * be distributed as patches to the released version.  Permission to
>   * distribute binaries produced by compiling modified sources is granted,
>   * provided you
>   *   1. distribute the corresponding source modifications from the
>   *    released version in the form of a patch file along with the binaries,
>   *   2. add special version identification to distinguish your version
>   *    in addition to the base release version number,
>   *   3. provide your name and address as the primary contact for the
>   *    support of your modified version, and
>   *   4. retain our contact information in regard to use of the base
>   *    software.
>   * Permission to distribute the released version of the source code along
>   * with corresponding source modifications in the form of a patch file is
>   * granted with same provisions 2 through 4 for binary distributions.

> This seems very similar to the pine and qmail licenses

No, because the quoted license explicitly allows the distribution of
binaries built from modified sources. That kind of patch-clause
licenses is specifically blessed by DFSG #4.

--
Henning Makholm                             "Det er du nok fandens ene om at
                                         mene. For det ligger i Australien!"