Re: If DFSG apply to non-software, is GPL*L* incompatible with DFSG?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> The legal terms are not copyrightable;

In some jurisdictions, perhaps, but not all. Moreover, in Veeck v
SBCCI we see that only federal, state and local laws are denied the
protection of copyrights (in addition to the classes of works
specificaly denied by the constitution.)

Moreover, the 5th circuit appears to hold that the Model Codes
themselves are in fact copyrightable, but their incorporation into the
local code removes the copyright to them.

Now, you may be able to construct a set of arguments to convince me
and/or others that legal documents are a specific class of work to
which copyright protection is not available, but it's not obvious a
priori.

Don Armstrong

--
Tell me something interesting about yourself.
Lie if you have to.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu