Re: Please pass judgement on X-Oz licence: free or nay?

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:15:26PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> The summary I linked to was about reworked X-Oz license, which is
> clearly GPL-incompatible and probably non-free. However, clause 4
> criticized in the summary is identical to a clause in the license that
> started this thread, and all the other X licenses, and very similar to
> the 3-clause BSD license.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the main reason I objected to the
compelled-advertising clause in the X-Oz license was that we could not
determine what it *meant* according to the licensor.  We asked them, and in
response, their representative promised replies and failed to deliver, and
indulged in digressions on Heideggerian existentialism.

(I trust people curious to confirm the above statements can review the list
archives for themselves.)

I don't see why you consider this determination to be an "egregious
mistake".  I don't know what business we have declaring licenses whose
terms we don't understand as DFSG-free.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     The Rehnquist Court has never
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     encountered a criminal statute it