Re: [fielding@apache.org: Review of proposed Apache License, version 2.0]

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:43:01PM -0500, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:

> > There is also no way to be sure that the next minor upstream Emacs
> > release will still be entirely free software, and Debian has been
> > bitten by this before.  So why not move everything to non-free which
> > is not under a "GPL, version 2 only" license?

> That the GNU FDL is not DFSG-free tells us nothing about the
> DFSG-freeness of *any* other license.

Um, the GFDL was not a part of that debate at all. Brian was
responding to some opinions I had about Apache's apparent intent to
knowingly include patent-encumbered algorithms in their product.  He
was saying, by a fairly usual reductio-ad-absurdum argument, that he
did not find my reasoning convincing. Even though I still think my
point was valind, I don't find his counterargument "hysterically
absurd".

--
Henning Makholm          "Den nyttige hjemmedatamat er og forbliver en myte.
                    Generelt kan der ikke peges på databehandlingsopgaver af