Re: [fielding@apache.org: Review of proposed Apache License, version 2.0]

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:46:37AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> I think you must look at the entire picture --- not just the copyright
> one --- to determine if software is free. I don't think its free if the
> copyright holder decides to use patents, instead of copyright, to limit
> your freedoms. In short:
>
>       * If party A releases software, and in some maner prevents you
>         from excercising your DFSG-freedoms, then that software is not
>         DFSG-free. It doesn't matter if that manner is copyright,
>         patent, or the mafia.
>       * If party A releases software, and allows you all your
>         DFSG-freedoms but an unrelated party B does not allow you to
>         modify it to, e.g., play DVDs, party A's software is still free.
>
> To put it yet another way, you can't use patents as an end-run around
> freeness.

I entirely agree.  It's not always easy to perform this sort of
analysis, and we may be tricked from time to time through secret
conspiracies between separate organizations, one of whom holds a
copyright and the other who holds a patent implemented by the
copyrighted code.

It would not have been fair to penalize the authors of the GIMP for the
hostile and malicious actions of Unisys regarding the LZW patent, so we
did not.

The case where the same organization holds a copyright and an applicable
patent is a no-brainer, though.  Both the patent and the copyright
licenses must satisfy the DFSG, and furthermore, any subsequent transfer
of either or both the copyright or patent to other parties must be
closely scrunitized.  As a rule of thumb, I'd say any such transfer
should not be regarded as materially affecting the situation.

A hypothetical:

If Microsoft had a patent (free for use in "web browsers only") on HTTP
and had licensed Internet Explorer under the GNU GPL, IE would have to
go in non-free.  If they then sold their patent to IBM, the situation
would not change unless IBM then went and made the patent license fully
DFSG-free.  After all, we really have no way of knowing whether would
Microsoft offered the HTTP patent to IBM for a steeply discounted price
if IBM would agree to never relax the license terms on the patent.  From
what I recall of the Microsoft federal antitrust suit in the U.S., this
sort of arrangment would be entirely within Microsoft's character.

If a single organization (or multiple organizations when there is reason
to believe collusion has taken place) asserts non-free copyright or
patent licenses applicable to the same work, then the copyrighted
implementation must be regarded as permanently tainted until both the
copyright and patent license are made unambiguously DFSG-free.

Organizations need to pay more than just lip service to freedom for us
to recognize their participation in the Free Software community.
Freedom which you cannot exercise is not freedom at all, and those
responsible for preventing the exercise of freedom must be held to
account.

(Yes, I've been reading Chomsky lately.  Does it show? :) )

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Optimists believe we live in the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    best of all possible worlds.