Re: Unicode data licensing and gucharmap

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:31:06AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 11:13:11PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > There is currently a RC bug reported against gucharmap (#216118),
> > because it includes files derived from the Unicode character database.
> > The license for these files is available at
> > http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html
>
> > So the question is, does this licensing allow for shipping the generated
> > files under any license? Here, the GPL.
>
> That's the third time this has come up.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200307/msg00056.html

Last I heard, we were treating this issue as pending a resolution,
because Thomas Bushnell, BSG, who is both Debian and upstream maintainer
of GNU Miscfiles, assured us that a freely-licensed equivalent was
forthcoming.

Uh, Thomas, how's that coming?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Never attribute to malice that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     which can be adequately explained